Sunday, October 12, 2008

Always Good For A Laugh

I have long been of the opinion that I get teased more than anyone else I know. And for years time I thought it was because no one liked me. However a few years ago I realised that it's pretty much just because I provide comic relif and because I have a very teasable personality. There are a few things that go into having a teasable personality, some of which it might be better if I changed, but most of the things, I rather like about myself.

First off, to be teasable you have be a confident person. Most people, most nice people that is, don't want to pick on people when they tease them. They're not going to pick on the shy quite one, they're going to pick on the extroverted, self-assured one, because they're not likely to break down and cry.

Next a teasable person must be very trusting. Some might call this characteristic gullible, but I beg to differ. I tend to believe the things that people say to me, and I don't think that that's generally a bad thing. If my boss tells me that a member of our crew, that I don't know, swears like a sailor I'm naturally going to worry about who they interact with in the media. Now don't get me wrong, I can be skeptical too, but in general I like to believe that people aren't going to lie to me I think that's a good thing.

A teasable person must give off great reactions. This one I might want to change, but most of the time it's just in fun so I don't know yet. Ever since I was little, my mom told me that if I would just stop reacting to it, then John would stop teasing me. But I just can't do it, I really really can't, I've tried, believe me I've tried. But if someone is teasing me about a boy I like or some embarrassing thing that I said, I'm going to blush, if you tease me about what I'm wearing I'm going to be self conscious, and if you tease me about being a democrat you're probably biting off more than you can chew.

Finally, I think to be teasable, you can't wear your real emotions on your sleeve. I come from a pretty political family, not in that we're all politicians, but we are very good about putting on a happy face for the outside world. I don't know about most people, but even with the most friendly teasing, I have to double check and make sure the person isn't serious, that they don't hate me, and that they aren't trying to hurt my feelings. I don't think they ever mean to hurt my feelings, but sometimes there's just enough truth to what they say to make me keenly aware of my many imperfections. But like a good politician, I can usually put on a happy face, and smile for the cameras.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Well dear cousin . . . I think that I fall into the same category as you . . . I am convinced that there is a sign on my forehead that says "tease me!" But you are right . . . you play it off very well.

Also . . . love that we have the same taste in backgrounds :)